Since the launch of Restlet 1.0 in April 2007, we have been working hard to prepare this new version. To protect your investment in existing code, we have maintained the initial API design, extending it where necessary and always ensuring a direct if not transparent migration path.
Here is a selection of the most exciting new features:
- Broader and deeper HTTP support with features such as partial downloads, resumable uploads or content integrity validation.
- Best support for the WADL specification in the industry, allowing an automatic and always in sync documentation of your REST APIs. WADL documents can be generated in XML or converted on the fly to HTML using the popular stylesheet from Yahoo!
- One of the first and most complete implementations of the new JAX-RS 1.0 specification provided for those preferring an annotation-oriented approach.
- New extensions for easier integration with the JAXB 2.1, JiBX 1.1, Spring 2.5, OAuth, OSGi, Oracle XDB and SSL technologies.
- Improved support for Atom Syndication XML format and for Atom Publishing Protocol. Both formatting and parsing are now available.
- New POP3 connector based on JavaMail to access RESTfully to remote mail boxes.
- New Grizzly HTTP server connector, first to fully leverage the NIO support in the Restlet API, leading to new levels of scalability and performance.
- New internal HTTP client and server connectors to simplify development phases (zero configuration necessary) and allow very small footprint deployments.
- Aaron Crow
- Aaron Roberts
- Adam Harris
- Bruce Lee
- Diego Ballve
- Erik Beeson
- Jérôme Bernard
- Kevin Conaway
- Richard Hiberman
- Tim Peierls
In addition, we have significantly expanded our documentation with a 150 pages long Restlet User Guide, a screencast and first steps tutorials. We have also added new licensing options: LGPL 3.0 and transferable commercial licences (OEM).
You just need to download Restlet 1.1.0 to enjoy those new features !
Update 1: Launch coverage
- Artima – Developer Spotlight Forum
- Developpez.com – Article in Java blog (French)
- François Goldgewicht – Opinion on Restlet 1.1 launch (French)
- Iam Keke – Opinion of on Restlet 1.1 and Restlet-GWT module
- InfoQ – Restlet 1.1.0: Improved Flexibility and Specification Support (with interview)
- ITR Manager – Le logiciel RESTLET passe en version 1.1 (French)
- JAXenter – Restlet 1.1 veröffentlicht (German)
- PROgrammez! – News coverage on Restlet 1.1 (French)
- The Server Side – Discussion on Restlet 1.1
- Xebia – Plus de souplesse et une implémentation de JAX-RS 1.0 (French)
Update 2: Migration guide from Restlet 1.0 to 1.1